Wednesday, February 4, 2009

One Decade

On Monday Feb. 2nd my oldest son Cody turned 10.

TEN!!!!

Where did the last decade go?

I remember the day he was born like it was yesterday.
He was born 12 days past his due date, at 4:15 am. The Dr. and nurses couldn't figure out why we got so teary eyed when they announced the time of birth. 4/15 as in April 15th is the day we got married. Yes, it was tax day, it was also the 3 year anniversary of our first date. That are first child togather was born at 4:15 just seemed so meaningful to us at the time.

A few hours later when one of my friends from work came to visit us I shocked her by saying that I wanted another baby!!! She thought I was nuts and said maybe I should at least get him home before I decided I wanted more.



Alot has happened in the last ten years. We did end up having another baby, after losing one. We did ECFE, Pre-k, Elementary school, cub scouts, t-ball, karate. We've moved, learned about bullies, figured out potty training and flown with a 2 year (not fun). We've seen oceans, mountains, the desert, the Grand Canyon, the giant redwoods, Mount Rushmore, a variety of Zoos and even rode on the Pizza train.

One of my favorite (and some days least favorite) part about parenthood, the part they don't mention in the "what to expect when expecting" book, is how raising children is alot like reliving your own childhood. I almost feel like I am growing up WITH my boys, and some days I just don't want to be a grown up!!



Sometimes I miss that little baby, the one we called my third leg and velcro baby. Now he's too cool to let Mom hug him, unless of course he's sick, but at the same time I am really enjoying seeing the person he is turning into. I feel so privileged to be a part of his journey. I have a magnet on my fridge that reads "who are these kids, and why are they calling me mom"?

I used to joke that "whoever" decided it would be a good idea to put me in charge of someone else's life must be nuts. When I think of how close I came to not having kids I am filled with gratitude the "someone" knew more about what I wanted and needed then I did.



I just hope the next ten years go by a little slower.....

1 comments:

Lisa Laxton February 4, 2009 at 1:23 PM  

Enjoy them now...it doesn't slow down any! My oldest turns 19 on the 10th and my 2nd turns 17 tomorrow! In my mind they are still my babies!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP